Foodie Trends For 2009My brother actually passed this article along to me. Recently the NRA (no, not Ms. Palin’s boys - the National Restaurant Association) surveyed its chefs and identified what the top 10 trends are for 2009.
No surprise that chefs favor organic and local, but there were some surprises in regards to meat chops - have you ever heard of a Denver steak?
Check them out:
1. Locally grown produce 89%
2. Bite-size/mini desserts 83%
3. Organic produce 82%
4. Nutritionally balanced children’s dishes 81%
5. New/fabricated cuts of meat 78% (e.g. Denver steak, pork-at iron, bone-in Tuscan veal chop)
6. Fruit/vegetable children’s side items 74%
7. Superfruits 73% (e.g. acai, goji berry, mangosteen)
8. Small plates/tapas/mezze/dim sum 73%
9. Micro-distilled/artisan liquor 73%
10. Sustainable seafood 71%
Well unfortunately for me, looks like we’ll be moving on to small dishes (aka elf food serving sizes).
What do you think? Did any of these surprise you? Did they miss any?